23rd November 2010
This week I have been attending a course provided the London based company Fuse, an opportunity to have a session each night of the week with a different casting director.
The week began with Anji Carrolls, her most recent work being the casting of the film "West is West." In which she cast a "flyer" (newbie to acting) in the lead role.
We read a scene to Carrolls as though we were auditioning for "The Bill", my scene was for a woman in a car accident, then a hospital scene. Carrolls gave me very positive feedback, said I was good at taking notes and came across really well for a newbie. Just slow down my speech, something every director I have ever had has said to me, you'd think I'd take that on board by now.
"Be faithful to the script" Carrolls advised us, and "dont over do it." Remember to make performance appropriate for its medium, not to over project for tv, but at same time smaller doesnt mean less energy. "Same energy, packaged differently" she advised us. "Same intensity"
"Make a checklist" 'I'm here for tele-not theatre'
Carrolls said she began her casting sessions with a chat, and that it was important not to "step" from chat into acting, keep acting as natural as the chat was. Keep the character you, natural. Dont increase volume as though on the stage.
"Make own journey" Carrolls advised us, when given a script by a casting director try to create at least one change in emotion/ intention during a scene. "Make it interesting." Make scenes different. More humour/ anger/ something else on mind or less. "Sell it different"
Staging a scene:
Take writters direction where it works for how you want to work the scene, Carrolls advised us. And not to be afraid to ask director how they want scene played, over top hysterics or more natural. Also ask if they want you to stand, gestures.
She advised to get in contact with film schools and offer services as an actor so that one gets material for a show reel.
Really enjoyed meeting Anji Carrolls, she came across as a really nice, genuine person. I hope I get to audition for her one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment